When we were contacted last year by the Goodwood Estate to provide light fixtures for their annual Goodwood Revival motor race we couldn’t think of a better match. With its motor race dating back to post-war days our lighting provided an authentic air to the event.
Ever since the 1st Duke of Richmond built Goodwood House to entertain guests while attending the fashionable Charlton Hunt, the Estate has played host to a variety of thrilling events. The Westhampnett airfield was created on Goodwood Estate land which was donated by Freddie March, the 9th Duke of Richmond, the renowned amateur racer and aircraft engineer to assist the war effort. It was built as an emergency landing airfield for fighter aircraft, as a satellite station to RAF Tangmere.
After the war, the airfield’s perimeter road was converted into a racing circuit. It was opened in September 1948 by Freddie March to host Britain’s very first post-War motor race at a permanent venue. The airfield subsequently became the now world-famous Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit and Chichester/Goodwood Airport. From 1948 to 1966 the Goodwood circuit was the spiritual home of British motor racing, staging classic races such as the Tourist Trophy for sports cars and the Glover Trophy for Grand Prix cars.
The three-day Goodwood Revival celebrates the mid-twentieth century glory days of the racing track. The event has been taking place since 1998, when racing returned to Goodwood for the first time since the closure of the famous Motor Circuit in 1966. Around 150,000 people attended the festival, which is one of the UK’s most popular race meetings. Many wear period dress, including army uniforms, old-fashioned driving gear and vintage floral dresses.
The Goodwood Mess adds another layer of fun and creative design to the Goodwood Revival, with live performers, a beautifully decorated area and all manner of authentic props from the wartime period. We supplied brass GES E40 lampholders with a pendant cord grip conversion so that large incandescent lamps could be arranged as bare bulb pendants to great effect.